Bangor Civic Society

 

News & EventsTown WalksTools & FeaturesMembershipMessage Board
 


The earliest building scale maps of Bangor by John Speed (1542–1629)

(left) Alternative view by Speed, this time looking towards what is now Hirael, Friars School is in the distance with tree lined drive/field. This was the first Friars School building and with the other map depiction (top left main map) remains the only surviving image of the structure. The Friary was taken over as a school following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII.

Little of the 1610 built environment remains beyond buildings which have retained elements with later additions and amendments, such as the Cathedral and Bishops Palace.

© Copyright Bangor Civic Society 2006 Home | Contact Us | External Links | Link To Us | Other Civic Societies | Site Map | Search | FAQ | Constitution | Site Credits