The Council purchased the Siliwen Baths in 1887 with the intention of improving the facility, eagre to tap into the tourist trade. Renovations were undertaken to the shoreline and huts but by design bathing remained limited to high tide. In summers and good weather the facility was over run with users causing frustration over the limited huts. A storm in 1899 then destroyed the huts.
The increasing importance of tourism,
health and leisure led the council to further invest in the
baths to plans by John Gill, the City Surveyor. The site incorporating new huts and a new concrete lined pool costing £2,343 and were opened on 25th June 1902. The pool was popular but an unprofitable venture, it featured the more liberal mixing of the sexes. Swimming at the baths remained popular but by 1937 the Council began to consider a new format of indoor pools and explored proposals which failed to materialised due to the required financial outlay.
In 1958 with declining popularity and a failed hygene certification due to water pollution levels the baths closed. The Council explored new options and accepted a tender by Pochins at £150,000 for a new facility on Garth Road, and in October 1966 it opened to the public.