At the centre of the Top College site; linked
to the Halls of Residence by Arcaded
and covered passages. On steeply sloping site. Opened 1911. The
Normal College was founded by the British and Foreign School Society
to train teachers for non-denominational primary schools. This building
resulted from an expansion begun in 1907 to cater for the increased
number of students and forms the central range in an H-plan group.,
Architect, Henry T Hare of London; contractors, Messrs Willcock
and Co of Wolverhampton. Arts
Tudor style. 3-bay SE front with projecting single
storey broad gabled
Dining Hall to centre and low 2-storey 1-window porch towers set
back to either side. Further set back are 2-storey and attic ranges
projecting from the full width transverse range overlooking the
lower courtyard. Cement render with rubble plinth
dressings. Slate roofs, pyramidal flanking Dining Hall gable end;
wide eaves and louvred bellcote with final and weathervane; cement
render chimney stacks. Stepped buttress
to Dining Hall and tall splayed 6-light bay window with 3-transoms.
3-light windows to flanking ranges, square headed to 1st floor,
segmental below. Raised pediments
to sides and modern extensions below. Hipped roof dormers to extreme
end ranges. The stepped 7-window NW front is set in the slope. Advanced
pavilions to ends; taller gable to centre with similar 6-light,
3-transom Dining Hall oriel; spandreled and transomed
windows to either side and segmental headed windows below with flanking
and covered passages to either end link with Neuadd Eryri and Fôn.
The Dining Hall is T-shaped with ribbed segmental roof - groin vaulted over the junction of the two 'arms'. dentil cornice and panelled dado. Formerly contained accommodation for servants.
Group value with the adjoining Normal College buildings.
References : P Ellis Jones, "Bangor 1883-1983: A Study in Municipal Government" (1986) p 16.
Bangor Normal College, Centenary publication.