To SW side of the lower courtyard; stepped in
the slope and faces NE. Also reached from Menai Road. Dated 1910.
The Normal College was founded by the British and Foreign School
Society to train teachers for non-denominational primary schools.
This building resulted from an expansion begun in 1907 to accommodate
the increased number of students and forms part of an H-plan group
of linked ranges. Architect, Henry T Hare of London; contractors
Messrs Willcock and Co of Wolverhampton. arts
and crafts Tudor style; T-plan. Designed to accommodate 40
women. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay cement render front; slate roof
with swept up ridge to spices and swept boarded saves. Louvred
bellcote with finial
and off centre cement rendered chimney stack midway down roof
pitch. Central bay is taller and gabled
with kneelers; more pronounced kneelers to gable ends over tapered
rising to 2nd floor level. Small pane casement windows with bell
drip-moulds, mostly 2+2-light with dividing panel; flat roofed
dormers and stone spandreled window to central gable. 7-light
window over advanced 2-storey porch with cornice
and semicircular pediment; freestone
to centre over half glazed double doors with architrave.
Broadly splayed 2-storey bay windows to either side and further
half glazed door inserted into a 4-light window to right. Cross
range to centre rear with similar detail. Splayed attic oriels
to gable ends. Single storey Arcaded
and covered passage connects with the Domestic and Dining Hall
Group value with the neighbouring Normal College buildings.
References: P Ellis Jones, “Bangor 1883-1983: A study in Municipal Government” (1986) p 16.
Bangor Normal College Centenary publication.